When prescribed by a physician, home healthcare is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and many insurance companies.
Medicare patients will qualify to receive home health care services by meeting the following criteria:
- The patient is currently under a physician's care.
- The patient's home health services must be provided under a plan of care established and approved by a physician.
- The patient must require Skilled Nursing Care on an intermittent basis, Physical Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology services or have continued need for Occupational Therapy.
- The physician must certify that the patient is confined to the home such that "to leave home takes a considerable and taxing effort."
- The home health agency caring for the patient must be approved by Medicare (Medicare-certified).